Summer’s great, but we’ll admit it – we like Savannah best when our friends from the various colleges are here! And if you are a new or returning college student and don’t know the Thunderbird Inn, well, there’s a cool surprise in your near future.
You see, you’re gonna want to show off your cool new hometown (that would be Savannah) and your cool new college (which could be SCAD, Savannah State, Armstrong Atlantic, Savannah Tech or any of the other academic institutions we have trouble keeping up with.) Invite your friends to visit so you can show off your great taste in geography and academia. It’s what weekends were invented for!
Old Savannah Tours headed to River Street
But there’s a downside of having your best friend from high school sleeping on your dorm room floor. And there’s a limit to how many people per square inch can occupy your apartment (remember all those roommates you have?) The solution? The Thunderbird Inn, the hippest hotel in Savannah!
Savannah travel tips from the front line staff at The Thunderbird Inn in downtown Savannah are valuable! They hears guest feedback and they try for themselves the cool things to do in downtown Savannah, Georgia.
During our recent brainstorming sessions, new things to do in Savannah surfaced. Tips follow for afternoon refreshers — things to stay cool during your Savannah visit.
1. Cool off with one of Wet Willies Frozen Daiquiris. I love to mix the White Russian and the Banana flavors together because it tastes like a chocolate covered banana.
2. Enjoy a bucket of steamed or raw oysters from Bernie’s Oyster House.
3. Indulge in the tastiest ice cream in the south at Leopold’s Ice Cream parlor.
4. Stop by The Distillery for a craft brewed draft and Fried MoonPie.
5. Enjoy one, two or three of the 25 flavors featured at Café GelatOhhh! in City Market.
6. Quench your thirst with some lemonade from a street cart.
7. Run through the water spray fountain at Ellis Square or Forsyth Park.
8. Cool off in your room with some fresh lemonade, popcorn, and cold ac — all complimentary to our guests!
9. Feel like you’re in Paris, while sipping on a hot or iced café Americano at the Paris Market.
10. Shop around the many stores and boutiques that Broughton Street has to offer.
11. Get a group of friends together for the Savannah Slow Ride! Pedal your way around all the gorgeous squares.
12. Enjoy one of American Legion’s many drink specials! — ultra affordable!
Stay tuned! More itinerary ideas to follow soon from “the hippest hotel in Savannah”.
ABOUT THUNDERBIRD INN
Declaring itself The hippest hotel in Savannah™, the delightfully quirky, Thunderbird Inn (42 rooms) is where the historic downtown Savannah location and hip motel eccentricities meet up. Featured in New York Times, Southern Living, Miami Herald, Best10.com, TravelMuse.com, Dog Friendly magazine, the Telly Silver and Telly Bronze award-winning, downtown inn-hotel recaptures the southern retro spirit of the Swinging Sixties. The youthful General Manager, Mark Thomas, has directed the much-touted marketing toward a bold, free-spirited and young again approach, making the most of the popular resurgence of retro in the United States. Discounted Savannah lodging was never so much fun! Ask about discount local coupons, Staff Picks, MoonPie® on your pillow, and dog friendly / pet-friendly vacation accommodations. 611 West Oglethorpe Avenue, Savannah, GA USA 31401. Toll Free Reservations (866) 324-2661; International +1/912-232-2661; Fax 912-233-5551. Twitter: @TBirdInn; E-mail email@example.com; Web: TheThunderbirdInn.com
It seems the Brown’s folks are impressed by our retro style and our budget philosophy – and who wouldn’t be? Our circa-1964 classic roadside motel is as true to its era as anything you’ll find in historic Savannah. Our rooms are clean, fresh and charming – plus they’re amenity-rich. We’ve added just enough of today to keep your yesteryear experience sharp, with things like Wi-Fi throughout the Thunderbird. Pick one of our deluxe king rooms and you’ll enjoy such features as streaming Netflix and a Wii game system. All this for a price that won’t break the budget! Plainly, it’s no accident that we’re known as Savannah’s hippest hotel.
So thanks, Brown’s Guide, for noticing what we do. Keeping the history, but dumping the stuffy part – that’s us! We’re not like everybody else. We like that about ourselves.