In the American South, how retro can you go on a single vacation? Without a functioning time machine, what wonderful amenities from the traveling past can you experience for the first time, rediscover with delight, or introduce your children to?
SAVANNAH Georgia (March 22, 2012) – Thunderbird Inn in downtown Savannah is one of the first downtown businesses to reach out and welcome the newest McDonald’s restaurant to the neighborhood. On Friday, March 23, 2012, at 2:00 p.m., the fun-loving McBites Mobile and team pop in for a social call under the giant neon sign at the so-hip Thunderbird Inn.
Thunderbird Inn manager, Mark Thomas and his Twitter team reached out to cheer on McDonald’s arrival in the northwest quadrant of the Landmark Savannah Historic District. “This is southern reciprocity at its very best to have The McBites Mobile pay a social call at our fun-loving inn! What a pleasure for us, our guests, and all our neighbors!” Continue reading
SAVANNAH GA (March 19, 2012) — What if you could get the best of the present and the past in a hip hotel room you could actually afford?
Funny you should ask, because that’s exactly what you can get at the Thunderbird Inn, the hippest hotel in Savannah. Three special rooms – the deluxe king – have now been outfitted with perks that offer the best of modern entertainment, along with some retro treats that helped define “deluxe” back in the Swinging Sixties.
Let’s review the new (and new-old) treats:
• Magic Fingers! Yes, the real Magic Fingers! Time was, they were the cutting-edge amenity for circa-1960s motels. You dropped a quarter in a bedside slot, and the bed vibrated in a relaxing massage. Call it kitschy or call it kinky, it was a cultural icon. Anyway, the Thunderbird’s new Magic Fingers are better than the old version because you don’t even need a quarter to make them work.
• Vintage typewriters! Yes, texting had a grandmother, and her name was typing. To go with these venerable communication devices, the Thunderbird Inn will throw in a stamped envelope so you, too, can send snail mail.
• Wii game consoles, with games available from the front desk.
• Streaming Netflix®, where the thousands of movies and TV shows include both contemporary fare and vintage Sixties offerings, like the original “Star Trek” series.
• Radio alarm clocks equipped with iPod® docking stations, so you can go retro while keeping your ears firmly planted in the present.
The Thunderbird Inn also offers free Wi-Fi to all of its guests (sorry, we just couldn’t stomach the idea of re-creating the screech of the dial-up modems of the recent past.) But wait – there’s more! A tiny little mint isn’t cool enough for the Thunderbird Inn. When we turn down your bed at night, we put a MoonPie® on your pillow. Welcome to Southern hospitality!
See what we mean about the best of the present and the past?
About The Thunderbird Inn
Located in downtown Savannah, Georgia USA, the popular Thunderbird Inn is the poster child for southern retro travel in America. Offering a delicious, newly refreshed slice of Americana lodging, the classic roadside motel was originally built in 1964. It now features 42 well-designed and stylishly appointed hotel rooms, featuring new colors that blends authentic historic Savannah colors and Thunderbird’s original paint palette. In keeping with the fun hotel’s southern retro vibe, nightly a MoonPie® is on your pillow and Krispy Kreme® donuts are the highlight of an on-the-go breakfast 365/7.
(c) 2012 The Thunderbird Inn. Savannah, GA. Toll Free 1/866-324-2661